Simple Gluten-Free Banana Bread
This healthy, simple gluten-free banana bread is easy to make and can be amended to suit your diet. So if you are vegan, swap the eggs for soaked chia, linseeds or psyllium husks.
Today when I made this banana bread, I used rice and coconut flour and I added cinnamon and apple – yum!
- 300g/2 cups rice flour (or combination of flours – try your own mix) or use almond or coconut flour for grain-free
- 1 tbsp raw honey/maple syrup / sweet freedom (can replace with Stevia or Xylitol for Candida free) or you can soak a handful of dates and blend them
- 1 packet baking powder (gluten-free)
- 125g olive oil / coconut oil / butter
- 2 – 3 eggs*
- 2 – 3 large ripe bananas – mashed (use sweet potato for candida free)
1 egg = 1 tablespoon of flax meal or chia + 3 tablespoons water
1 egg = 3 tablespoons nut butter
1 egg = 1 teaspoon psyllium seed husk + 1/4 cup water (let it stand for 5 minutes; use = binding and moisture)
Other optional ingredients
I will often add other yummy ingredients such as papaya, raw chocolate and raw grated beetroot, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
Directions for gluten-free free banana bread
- Pre-heat oven to 180 (my gas oven goes on mark 3)
- Place flours and baking powder in a bowl and mix well
- Rub in butter or oil, until it is like fine breadcrumbs
- Add honey/maple/sweet freedom syrup
- Mix in beaten eggs (or substitute – see above)
- Add in mashed banana little by little until you get dropping consistency
- Put into a greased bread tin
- Cook for approx. 40 minutes or until your knife comes out clean
Using a food processor – the simple way
- Add all of the wet ingredients to the food processor and blend for a few minutes
- Add all of the dry ingredients and blend until well mixed
Other options for your gluten-free banana bread
- Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
- Cinnamon and apple
- Raw chocolate
- Raw chocolate and beetroot
- Lemon and poppy seeds
- Chopped up dates (do not use if you want to be candida free)
- Goji berries (do not use if you don’t eat nightshades)
- Nuts (obviously do not use if you have a nut allergy). Remember to soak first to remove the phytates
Basically, add in other stuff that you fancy and can tolerate.
Eat and enjoy – I know I will be.
101 days of being me
Subscribe to get your quotes and journaling prompts